• Banner 1

    An Early Ending at Pebble Beach

Golf News

PGA Tour cancels Pebble Beach final round, Wyndham Clark declared winner

The 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is already over.

Despite initially postponing the final round of the $20 million Signature Event to Monday due to inclement weather, the PGA Tour made an about-face late Sunday night and said “out of an abundance of caution for the safety of all constituents” play would be canceled Monday. The tournament results through 54 holes are now final.

The Pebble Beach area is under Shelter in Place order by Monterey County until early Monday and after consulting with county emergency authorities, the PGA Tour announced the cancelation of the final round in a statement Sunday night.

You can read the PGA Tour’s statement in full below:

“The storm affecting the Monterey Peninsula throughout the day Sunday is forecast to continue into the early hours of Monday with very strong winds.  Although conditions are forecast to improve through the morning Monday, after consultation with Monterey County emergency authorities, who have implemented a Shelter in Place order until early tomorrow morning for the greater Pebble Beach community, and out of an abundance of caution for the safety of all constituents, there will be no play on Monday.  Therefore, in accordance with the PGA TOUR Regulations the tournament results will be final through the conclusion of 54 holes.”

Shortening the tournament to 54 holes means Wyndham Clark, who started the third round six back of the lead and fired a 60 Saturday to jump into the lead by one over Ludvig Aberg, picks up his third PGA Tour title.

The tournament had been plagued by poor weather all week. The grounds were closed to the public for Wednesday’s practice round and the entire tournament was played under preferred lies after heavy rains saturated the course.

More rain came Saturday night and into Sunday, but the real damage from the storm came from strong winds, some reported gusts over 60 mph, that battered California’s central coast all day. Golf Channel’s Todd Lewis reported Sunday afternoon that there was “extensive damage” to the golf course from falling trees, camera towers and hospitality tents.

The main road in and out of Pebble Beach, 17 Mile Drive, was still closed due to high winds Sunday night.

It’s the first 54-hole event on the PGA Tour since the 2016 Zurich Classic of New Orleans. The Pebble event was shortened six times since 1974 before this week, the last coming in 2009 when Dustin Johnson won.

Knowing the forecast, many players said they had to play the third round with the idea that it could potentially be the final round.

 
Close